The California Health Care Foundation (CHCF) is releasing this RFQ to broaden and diversify its network of contract videographers.
CHCF is an independent, nonprofit philanthropy dedicated to advancing meaningful, measurable improvements in the way the health care delivery system provides care to the people of California. Learn more at www.chcf.org/about.
Storytelling at CHCF
CHCF frequently contracts with videographers to tell the stories of patients, as well as grantees and partners working on the front lines of health care. These stories put a human face on the need for policies and reforms, lift up important expert voices, and amplify solutions that are helping to improve health care delivery. These often take the form of short (less than five-minute) video stories.
Examples of recent videos include:
- Working Californians Enrolled in Medi-Cal Share Their Stories
- Bobbi’s Story: Telehealth is a “Blessing” for Grandson with Cerebral Palsy
- In Pandemic, Health Care Leaders Find Strength Through Vulnerability and Connection
As an organization dedicated to advancing health equity in the most racially diverse state in the nation, CHCF is committed to working with a racially diverse set of contractors, including videographers. Often, the stories CHCF seeks to lift up are from California’s communities of color. Among Medi-Cal enrollees, for example, 50% are Latinx, 10% are Asian, and 8% are Black. Thirty-eight percent report a primary language other than English. We believe that storytelling is more successful and powerful when we work with videographers who also reflect this racial/ethnic and linguistic diversity.
Qualifications We Are Looking For
CHCF is looking for videographer contractors with the following characteristics, experience, and capabilities:
- Ownership and leadership that reflects the racial/ethnic and/or linguistic diversity of the communities whose stories CHCF most often seeks to tell, specifically Latinx, Black, Asian, and Native American Californians.
- Highly collaborative, with the ability to incorporate extensive feedback to achieve desired results.
- Track record of working within a budget and timeline.
- Experience working on health or social policy issues.
- Managing logistics for video shoots.
- Shooting, editing, and producing professional short-form video products.
- Experience working with racially/ethnically and/or linguistically diverse communities in California.
- Demonstrated success in safely producing videos during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Familiarity shooting video in health care settings and/or with health care providers and patients.
- You, or your staff, are fluent in Spanish or languages other than English.
Process and Timeline
If you feel like you’d be a fit for us, please fill out the RFQ below and also share this with your networks. Please note that this RFQ is open ended and not in response to any specific project, but for informational purposes only. For this reason, we have kept this RFQ short and easy to complete. It shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes. We will follow up with you if there is a specific project to explore. If you have questions about this RFQ, please contact Anne Sunderland.