As payers and financial stewards, health plans can influence the behavior of patients and providers around the use of opioids. As such, health plans have a leading role to play in stemming the tide of the epidemic. Health plans that are successful in addressing the opioid crisis often employ a broad change campaign with an engaged leadership team. Key elements of such a campaign include executive sponsorship, clear goals and accountability, effective planning and coordination, and data analysis to evaluate progress. In this section we share steps and tools to help health plans effectively organize, execute, and improve an opioid safety initiative. The tools include work plans, slide decks, and infographics that we encourage you to use and customize for your opioid safety initiative.
- Create a sense of urgency: How to rally your organization to address the opioid crisis impacting your members
- Form an internal coalition: How to engage board, executive, and departmental leadership in an opioid safety initiative
- Build your case: How to communicate about your opioid safety initiative and garner support for change
- Remove obstacles: How to proactively identify and address barriers that may impede your opioid safety initiative’s progress and success
- Create quick wins: How to set up your opioid initiative for success by starting with attainable goals, tracking your progress, and celebrating achievements