CHCF looks for opportunities where we can add value through knowledge of and relationships with networks of providers, payers, and policymakers in California, and through our expertise in policy, finance, and reimbursement. CHCF staff specialize in new models of care delivery for high-cost populations, behavioral and mental health, delivery system and payment reforms, and the Medi-Cal program overall.
Investment Stage and Range
The CHCF Health Innovation Fund will consider these investment stages and ranges:
- Existing product or service in active use with at least one customer
- Demonstrated customer interest in California
- Initial investment of $500,000 to $1,500,000
- Capital-efficient business models
- Significant impact: Provide new or more timely access to 100,000 Californians and/or deliver $25M in annual cost savings to the California health care system
- Strategic alignment: Demonstrate a clear connection to CHCF’s mission to dramatically improve quality, lower total cost of care, and/or improve access to care for populations with low incomes
- Experienced management team: Employ a CEO and management team with a proven track record or the ability to attract such a team
- Scale and sustainability: Leverage business models that show potential significant growth and scale
CHCF does not invest in companies primarily focused on healthy food, fitness, pharmaceuticals, or biotech.
CHCF does not invest in medical devices that require Class II or Class III FDA approval. Those that require Class I approval should be within 12 months of approval and should have strong clinical data.