Sacramento Briefing — The Future of Delivery System Reform in Medi-Cal
About This Event
Medi-Cal, which started 50 years ago as a program for people receiving cash welfare assistance, now provides health coverage to one in three Californians. What kind of program do we want Medi-Cal to be when it turns 60? Specifically, what reforms are needed to ensure that Medi-Cal consistently delivers excellent access, quality, and patient experience while using resources efficiently?
Join the California Health Care Foundation for a conversation about the future of Medi-Cal. Cindy Mann of Manatt Health presents findings from a report commissioned by CHCF that assesses key challenges and opportunities in Medi-Cal, establishes a vision for delivery system reform, and articulates a path forward.
A panel of experts discusses the report’s recommendations and their implications. Audience members are encouraged to share their input and questions. Confirmed panelists for this Sacramento briefing include:
- Alfredo Aguirre, director, San Diego County Behavioral Health Services Division
- Bradley Gilbert, CEO, Inland Empire Health Plan
- Sandra Hernández, president and CEO, California Health Care Foundation
- Jennifer Kent, director, California Department of Health Care Services
- Graham Knaus, deputy executive director, California State Association of Counties
- Cindy Mann, partner, Manatt Health, and former director of the Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services at CMS
- Christopher Perrone, director of Improving Access, California Health Care Foundation
- William Walker, director, Contra Costa Health Services
A recording of the event and the presentation slides are available below.
If you don’t have time to watch the whole video, here are some key highlights:
- Chris Perrone reflects on the variety of efforts to strengthen Medi-Cal and the opportunities for further improvement: Watch clip at 3:25-5:15
- Cindy Mann discusses high-need, high-cost patients in Medi-Cal and the new challenges for Medi-Cal managed care: Watch clip at 17:19-19:30
- Cindy Mann on the hunt for value in Medi-Cal: Watch clip at 21:25-22:33
- Cindy Mann on the structural barriers to reform in Medi-Cal and the need for more than “business as usual”: Watch clip at 24:22-25:50
- Cindy Mann on why integrating physical and behavioral health is particularly challenging in Medi-Cal: Watch clip at 28:04-30:12
- Jennifer Kent on the future impact of the new Medicaid managed care rules: Watch clip at 52:22-53:30
- Brad Gilbert on the consequences for a schizophrenic patient when care is not coordinated: Watch clip at 1:00:00-1:01:44
- Graham Knaus on the astounding amount of change in Medi-Cal and the need to “keep pushing each other”: Watch clip at 1:16:15-1:17:06