Adapted from a long-running series, this textbook offers evidence-based and clinical expert guidance on caring for patients with serious, life-threatening illness.
This comprehensive textbook offers evidence-based and clinical expert guidance on caring for patients with serious, life-threatening illness. Care at the Close of Life: Evidence and Experience is based on a seven-year series of 42 articles originally published in JAMA. It incorporates the perspectives of patients, families, and clinicians.
With support from CHCF, the text has been thoroughly updated and features never-before-published material. It covers a wide range of clinical syndromes, disease processes, communication challenges, health care delivery settings, and issues faced by patients, including withdrawal of dialysis and other life-sustaining measures, cross-cultural approaches, and the role of chemotherapy.
- Fully revised and updated text with new evidence and references
- Evidence-based orientation presents the current knowledge in the care of terminally ill patients and support for families and caregivers
- Practical clinical guidance and approaches from international experts in palliative care
- Self-assessment Q&A for reinforcing knowledge of each chapter's content and for exam preparation
- A glossary of acronyms, terms, and tests
- Updated resources for each chapter offer authoritative sources of diagnostic and treatment information to optimize palliative care
- Medline PubMed ID numbers facilitate quick, convenient access to references
The textbook is available for purchase from a number of vendors, including publisher McGraw-Hill and Amazon.