CHCF has compiled below some essential resources, tools, and guidelines to assist coalitions in their work. Also be sure to see more of CHCF's own content on opioid safety.
Clinical Education Tools
- Opioid Dose Calculator from the Washington State Agency Medical Directors' Group
- Pathways to Safer Opioid Use from Health.gov: compelling interactive educational tool for doctors, nurses and pharmacists, with brief videos and decision points
- ASAM National Practice Guideline for the Use of Medications in the Treatment of Addiction Involving Opioid Use
- Medication for the Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder: A Brief Guide from SAMHSA
- Balancing Pain Management and Prescription Opioid Abuse: CDC educational presentations
- Oregon Pain Guidance: Tools for providers and patients, one-page primary care guidelines
- Interagency Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Pain (PDF): From the Washington State Agency Medical Directors Group Pain Guidelines
- Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing: Site includes educational videos, guidelines, news, and advocacy
- Prescribe to Prevent: information on naloxone
- Pharmacist Naloxone Guide (PDF) from the College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists
- Tools for Pharmacists to Help Reverse the Opioid Epidemic from CHCF
- Recovery Within Reach: Medication-Assisted Treatment of Opioid Addiction Comes to Primary Care from CHCF
- Educating Prescribers About Naloxone to Prevent Opioid Deaths: Patient and provider guides to using naloxone
- The Art and (Very Little) Science of Tapering Opioid Medications: Video of lecture by Andrea Rubinstein, pain management specialist, Kaiser
- Rational and Irrational Use of Opioids: A second video with lecture by Andrea Rubinstein
- Buprenorphine: Everything You Need to Know (PDF): This FAQ document supplements CHCF webinars "Expanding Access to Buprenorphine in Primary Care Practices" and "Is Buprenorphine for Pain a Safer Alternative to High-Dose or Long-Term Opioid Use?"
- Buprenorphine: Supplemental Annotated Bibliography (PDF): This bibliography was compiled by Howard Kornfeld, MD, a Marin pain specialist and widely published researcher.
Health Plans and Health Systems
Other resources collected to support Opioid Safety Coalitions can be found on this Google Drive.